[socialwiggle size=32 style=rounded wiggle=random]
I hope you haven’t put away your slow cooker for the summer because I have the perfect one pot meal for you. The slow cooker can really come into its own at this time of year – the last thing anyone needs on a perfect summer’s day is to slave over a hot stove. If you need a meal you can prepare and forget about until serving it, this dish is a great one to try. I love the flavours of Provence with the warm taste of the mediterranean, basil, tomatoes, peppers, wine and of course Herbes de Provence.
Slow Cooker Provencal Style Chicken with Rice
- 4 to 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion – thickly sliced
- 2 red peppers cut into thick strips
- 3 cloves garlic – crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 anchovy fillets – chopped
- 6 large tomatoes – chopped or 1 x 400 g can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- ½ teapsoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 250 ml (1 cup) of brown basmati rice
- 250 ml (1 cup) of white wine
- 250 ml (1 cup) of boiling water
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- A generous handful of chopped fresh basil
- Approx 20 black or green olives
- Spray the inside of your slow cooker with cooking spray or lightly grease.
- Preheat slow cooker on high.
- In a large frying pan, fry the onion and peppers in oil until lightly browned on the edges.
- Add the garlic, tomato puree and chopped anchovy fillets and fry for another couple of minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, bay leaf, herbes de Provence and salt and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir well to coat rice with mixture.
- Pour the wine over the rice mixture and stir in.
- Transfer the contents of the frying pan to your slow cooker pot, add the boiling water and stir.
- Wipe the frying pan clean and add a little more oil.
- Heat to a medium heat and brown the chicken on both sides.
- Carefully place the chicken onto the rice mixture in the slow cooker and cover. (The chicken won’t dry out, it cooks in the steam and is very tender)
- Cook on high for 2½ hours or on low for 5 hours.
- Check the rice is cooked and add seasoning if you wish.
- Stir in your freshly chopped basil and olives.
- Take to the table and serve.
- The recipe provides plenty for 4 people and you don’t really need anything else. That said, if you fancy a treat, serve with a basket of crusty bread and a glass of wine.
I’m entering Slow Cooker Provence Style Chicken with rice to a few challenges this month:
- Janice’s Slow Cooker Challenge over at Farmersgirl Kitchen where the theme is “one pot meals.”
- Karen’s Cooking With Herbs challenge over at Lavender and Lovage where this month’s featured herb is basil.
- The Extra Veg Challenge created by Helen at Fuss Free Flavours and Michelle at Utterly Scrummy and hosted this month by Nadine at Juggle Mum.
- Credit Crunch Munch created by Helen and Camilla, hosted this month by Sarah over at Maison Cupcake.