Having poached the peaches in rose syrup, they combine with the fresh raspberries to elevate the humble rice pudding to a Peach Melba Rice Delight.
It’s ‘officially’ the start of summer and to my relief the sun has been shining – I don’t know how long this warm weather is going to last but I’m going to make the most of it. A sure sign summer has truly arrived is the first of the fruit from the South of France appearing in the supermarket and I couldn’t resist buying four lovely flat peaches, although I’ll wait til the trays of peaches are available at a bargain price before I buy anymore.
Here at the Kitchen Shed, we’ve enjoyed plenty of homegrown strawberries and the raspberries are just ripening and ready to eat.
I love this time of year. We eat as much fresh produce as we can but we always preserve some fruit and veg to remind us of summer and to keep us going during the winter months.
Something I’ve tried for the first time this year is rose syrup, so thanks to Choclette over at chocolatelogblog.com for a brill recipe.
Using the first of our raspberries and the peaches from the supermarket I decided to update the summer pud my Mum used to make for us as children – creamy rice pudding served cold with tinned peaches and a spoon of raspberry jam. The easiest way to make rice pudding is in the slow cooker because you definitely don’t want a skin on a creamy cold dessert. Having poached the peaches in rose syrup, they combine with the fresh raspberries to elevate the humble rice pudding to a Peach Melba Rice Delight.
Peach Melba Rice Delight
- 100g (½ cup) short grain pudding rice
- 750 ml (3 cups) semi skimmed or full cream milk
- 50 g (¼ cup) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 vanilla pod – split
- Zest of ½ a lemon
- 4 to 6 tablespoons thick double / heavy cream (optional)
- 3 or 4 peaches
- Approximately 8 to 10 tablespoons of rose syrup or a heavy sugar syrup
- 100 g (3 ½ oz) fresh raspberries
You will need:
- 6 glasses, ramekins or small bowls for serving
- Spray the inside of your slow cooker pot with cooking spray or lightly grease.
- Rinse rice in a sieve, drain and transfer to the slow cooker pot.
- Pour the milk over the rice, adding the sugar, lemon zest and vanilla before stirring gently.
- Pop the lid on your slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hours.
- Transfer your rice pudding to another container and cool.
- Stir in the thick cream (if using) before placing in the fridge.
- Remove the skins from the peaches by blanching them first.
- Slice the peaches and place in a saucepan with the rose syrup and poach for 3 or 4 minutes. (They won’t take long so be careful not to overcook them.)
- Let them cool.
- To assemble your Peach Melba Rice Delight, divide the creamy rice between 6 dishes.
- Top with raspberries, peaches and a little of the rose syrup.
This post is an entry for the #MorrisonsMum Summer Recipe eBook Challenge sponsored by Morrisons, which has recently cut prices on over a thousand every day products. Find out more here price checker tool.
I’m also sending this recipe off to a few other food challenges this month:
- The Slow Cooker Challenge, hosted by Janice over at Farmers Girl Kitchen.
- Teatime Treats, hosted this month by Karen at Lavender and Lovage and co-hosted by Janie at The Hedgecombers.
- Ren Behan’s Simple & in Season over at RenBehan.com.
- Made with Love Mondays hosted by Mark at Javelin Warrior.
- Credit Crunch Munch created by Helen and Camilla, hosted this month by Linzi over at Lancashire Food.
- Recipe of the Week is a weekly blog hosted by Emily at A Mummy too.
- Cook Blog Share hosted by Lucy over at Super Golden Bakes.