These Healthy Blueberry & Orange Muffin Bars are moist, tender & bursting with juicy blueberries. Made with wholewheat & oats & are sugar free too!
Did you see my sugar free mini cheesecakes’ post ? There’s a link at the bottom of this post so you can take a look if you missed them. Well, along with requests for more naturally sweetened treats and the fact that I had some ricotta cheese and blueberries left over from the cheesecakes (I hate to waste food) I decided to try out a healthy version of ricotta muffins. The concentrated orange juice worked so well in the cheesecakes as a natural sweetener I wanted to use it again, this time alongside a small amount of honey. There is just the right amount of sweetness, coupled with little bursts of orange from the zest and fruitiness from the pockets of blueberries. The ricotta cheese gives these muffin bars a light, fluffy texture and helps keep them moist – in fact they’re okay for up to 3 days. I hope you enjoy our Healthy Blueberry & Orange Muffin Bars as much as we do here at the Kitchen Shed.
- Zest and juice of a large orange
- 50 g porridge oats plus extra for sprinkling
- 100 g white plain flour
- 100 g wholewheat plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- A pinch of salt
- 175 g ricotta
- 100 ml buttermilk (or substitute with half milk and half yoghurt)
- 100 ml rapeseed oil
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 150 g blueberries
- Grease and line a 12 hole mini loaf tin or muffin tin and preheat oven to 200℃ / 400℉ /Gas Mark 6
- Pour your orange juice into a small pan and bring to a simmer reducing down to a tablespoon or two & leave to cool.
- Mix oats, flours, baking powder, bicarb and salt in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Whisk together the ricotta, buttermilk, rapeseed oil, eggs, orange juice and zest in a jug.
- Using a spatula stir the wet ingredients into the dry until combined.
- Equally divide the mixture between the holes in your mini loaf tin or muffin tin, filling them to about three quarters full & sprinkle with oats.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes before turning them out onto a cooling rack.
Healthy Blueberry & Orange Muffin Bars freeze well.
Pin Healthy Blueberry & Orange Muffin Bars for later:
I’m entering Healthy Blueberry & Orange Muffin Bars into:
- The No Waste Food Challenge hosted by Elizabeth over at Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary.
- Credit Crunch Munch run by Camilla at Fab Food 4 All & Helen from Fuss Free Flavours, hosted this month by Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary.
- June’s Treat Petite created by Stuart at CakeyBoi & Kat at The Baking Explorer, hosted by Kat over at The Baking Explorer.
- Lavender & Lovage’s Tea Time Treats (co-hosted by Karen at Lavender & Lovage and Janie at Hedgecombers) hosted in June by Lavender & Lovage.
And linking to: