Flaky succulent cod coated in golden, crispy breadcrumbs. Jumbo Cod Fish Fingers go down a treat with all the family. Quick & easy to make – freeze for later, bake or fry.
Jumbo Cod Fish Fingers are a comfort food family classic which is hard to beat, especially when the fish fingers are homemade. No hidden additives, succulent flaky fish coated in crunchy breadcrumbs served with your favourite sides.
Guaranteed to go down a treat with kids and is a great way to get them eating more fish!
I’ve made the fish fingers jumbo sized so there’s relatively less breadcrumbs and more succulent fish. The breadcumbs are made with turmeric and paprika to add a hint of flavour whilst combining to give a rich golden colour.
Can I use other types of fish ?
Absolutely. Salmon or any firm white fish such as coley, pollock or haddock make excellent fish fingers.
Just look for the blue label from the Marine Stewardship Council for sustainable sourced fish.
How to make Jumbo Cod Fish Fingers
Full recipe with detailed steps in the recipe card at the end of this post.
Cut your fish pieces into strips.
Get your assembly line ready with shallow containers for the flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs.
Coat the fish strips first with the flour mix, then the egg and then the breadcrumbs. It really is as easy as that!
Your fish fingers are ready to fry or bake.
Top tips for the best breadcrumbs:
Make your own breadcrumbs. Save your leftover stale bread and whizz into breadcrumbs. Keep them in the freezer until needed.
Make your own breadcrumbs. Save your leftover stale bread and whizz into breadcrumbs. Keep them in the freezer until needed. Bake from frozen for 10 minutes at 180 ℃ until crisp.
Can I freeze Jumbo Cod Fish Fingers ?
Yes, you can! They will keep in the freezer for up to three months ready to be taken out and cooked from frozen.
What to eat with Jumbo Cod Fish Fingers
Pin for later
Hope you enjoy Jumbo Cod Fish Fingers as much as we do. If you make this recipe, I’d love to know how you get on. Please rate the recipe and leave me a comment below if you do.
Jumbo Cod Fish Fingers
- 1 large frying pan or 1 large baking tray lined
- 3 shallow dishes for egg wash and breadcrumbs
- 400 g sustainably fished cod, pollock or haddock fillets – skinned and de boned (I used cod)
- 4 tbsp plain flour seasoned with salt
- 1 beaten egg
- 85 g dried breadcrumbs
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 4 tbsp rapeseed oil or vegetable oil
HOW TO MAKE JUMBO COD FINGERS
- Cut your fish pieces into strips approx 3 cm x 8 to 10 cm.
- Get your assembly line ready. Flour and salt in the 1st shallow container, egg in the 2nd and breadcrumbs in the 3rd.
- Arrange the containers in a row and you are ready to assemble your fish fingers.
- Evenly coat each strip of fish with flour, then egg and complete the process by rolling in breadcrumbs making sure they are completely covered.Your fish fingers are now ready to freeze, fry or bake.
HOW TO COOK JUMBO COD FISH FINGERS
- TO FRY: Heat the oil to a medium heat and fry the fish fingers for 3 to 4 minutes on each side until golden.
- TO BAKE: Place the fish fingers on a lined baking tray and spray with cooking spray and pop in the oven for 15 minutes. To get more of a golden crust, turn them over halfway through cooking and spray with cooking spray.
HOW TO FREEZE FISH FINGERS
- Line a baking tray with cling film or non stick baking paper and place the uncooked fish fingers on top. Cover with cling film or non stick baking paper and freeze for 2 hours, or until completely frozen, then transfer to freezer bags. The fish fingers can be cooked from frozen.
- You can substitute salmon or any firm white fish such as coley, pollock or haddock. fingers.
- Make your own breadcrumbs. Save your leftover stale bread and whizz into breadcrumbs. Keep them in the freezer until needed.
- Jumbo Cod Fish Fingers will keep in the freezer for up to three months ready to be taken out and cooked from frozen.
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.