Cheese & Pickle Tear & Share Bread stuffed with cheese, ham & pickle – a delicious ready made sandwich for picnics & packed lunches!
Tear and share breads are a firm favourite here at The Kitchen Shed, where my Garlic and Herb Twister Bread remains my go to recipe for BBQs or to serve with a lasagne or chilli. I love developing recipes for our guests and recently I was looking for a savoury bread to work as an al fresco lunch.
A ploughman’s lunch was the inspiration for this tear and share recipe which combines a deliciously soft bread with the saltiness of ham and Red Leicester cheese, all contrasting with the tang and crunch of the pickle.
You can make Cheese & Pickle Tear & Share Bread a day before you need it so there’s no phaffing about preparing sandwiches just before lunch; you can even pop the bread in the freezer. I hope you enjoy my Cheese & Pickle Tear & Share Bread as much as we do here at the Kitchen Shed.
- 500 g strong white bread flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons instant yeast
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Approx 250 ml tepid water
- ½ jar of chutney or pickle (I used Proper Finely Chopped Pickle from the English Provender Co)
- 4 to 6 slices of the ham of your choice (I used Wiltshire)
- Approx 250 g grated cheese (I used Red Leicester)
You will need:
- A greased and lined 28 cm x 32 cm (11″ x 12.5″) roasting/baking tin
- I make the bread dough in my KitchenAid with a dough hook fitted but the dough can easily be mixed by hand.
- Add flour, salt, sugar and yeast to the mixing bowl of your stand mixer, make a well add the oil and water.
- Mix on slow speed number 1 for 1 to 2 minutes then increase to number 2 speed and mix for a further 8 to 10 minutes.
- Check your dough is ready by using the windowpane test.
- Place your dough in a large greased bowl and cover.
- Leave to rest in a warm place for about one and a half hours or until doubled in size.
- Transfer the dough to a floured work surface and divide into 2.
- Roll out each piece into a rectangle about 40 x 15 cm (16″ x 6″).
- Spread the chutney over both rectangles of dough.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over both rectangles and top with ham slices.
- Starting from a long side, lightly roll up each of the dough rectangles like a swiss roll or jelly roll. With a sharp knife cut each roll into 8 even slices.
- Lay slices flat in the greased roasting tin. Leave an even space between the slices - they will expand horizontally as they rise.
- Leave to rise from approximately 30 to 45 minutes until well risen.
- Preheat Oven to 400°F / 200°C / Gas Mark 6
- Bake in the oven 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown.
Cheese & Pickle Tear & Share Bread freezes well.
THE WINDOW PANE TEST is a consistently reliable way to check your dough is ready. Pinch off a small piece of dough and gently stretch it apart, pulling and rotating the dough into a thin membrane, or window pane, which is translucent when you hold it up to the light.
Pin Cheese & Pickle Tear & Share Bread for later: