[socialwiggle size=32 style=rounded wiggle=random]
I make Pickled Red Cabbage especially for our Chicken Kebabs Take Away Style but it goes equally well as an accompaniment to cheese and meat and can make a lovely christmas gift too. A really easy recipe with no overnight soaking and no boiling of vinegar ! Although ready after one week, we’ve eaten it after two days.
Easy Pickled Red Cabbage Recipe
Makes: Approximately 2 x 750 ml jars
- 1 red cabbage (about 1kg in weight)
- 100 g coarse sea salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 allspice berries
- 2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- Approximately 1 litre cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
You will need: 2 or 3 large sterilised jars
- Discard outer leaves of your cabbage.
- Cut cabbage into quarters and remove the stalks.
- Slice into fine shreds – or chunky if you prefer.
- Place cabbage in a colander (over the sink) and sprinkle with the salt.
- Scrunch and break down the cabbage for 5 minutes. (You may want to wear gloves for this unless you fancy purple fingers)
- Leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Rinse out the salt and drain well.
- Pack the jars half full and top with 2 allspice berries, 1 teaspoon coriander seeds and a bay leaf.
- Add a tablespoon of red wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar to each jar.
- Pour the cider vinegar to cover the cabbage.
- Pack the rest of the red cabbage into the jar and top up with cider vinegar to cover.
- Seal jars with a metal screwcap lid and store in a dry place out of sunlight.
- Will keep for a long time but will lose its crispness after 10 to 12 weeks or so.
- Ready to eat after one week.
Serve with our Chicken Kebabs Take Away Style or cold meats and cheese.