We love these homemade crispy oven chips here at the Kitchen Shed. They have just the right amount of crunchy coating and there’s no aftertaste which often comes with readymade crispy oven chips. These crispy homemade beauties really don’t take much more time than using a bag of chips from the freezer and the little extra prep time is definitely worth it. When we’re in the UK I use my Actifry to cook these ‘oven’ chips but as you can see, you get great results in the oven too !
Homemade Low Fat Crispy Oven Chips
- 6 large potatoes (floury potatoes are best, eg Maris Piper or King Edward)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- Drizzle of olive oil
450℉/230℃/Gas mark 8
You will need:
- 1 large saucepan
- 1 large roasting tray
- Peel and cut your potatoes into chunky chips – see photo.
- Add your chunky poatoes to a large saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Add the salt and cover.
- Bring to the boil and turn down to a simmer for 3 minutes.
- Drain well before sprinkling with the flour and paprika.
- Place the lid back on your saucepan and give your potatoes a couple of shakes; not too vigorously or you will end up with broken chips but enough of a shake to rough up the chips a little and give them a coating of flour and paprika.
- Transfer your chunky chips to a roasting tray drizzled with oil and turn your chips over to coat each one with oil.
- Pop in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Turn your chips over and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve your Homemade Low Fat Crispy Oven Chips straightaway with a favourite accompaniment or like OH, as a chip butty.