Slow Cooker Roast Potatoes – crisp and crunchy on the outside with a soft and fluffy centre. Discover how to make delicious, crispy slow cooker roast potatoes.
Yes, you really can make roasted potatoes in the Crock Pot. So why would you ?
Well, for a start you can throw them in hours before serving so that’s one less last minute panic. And it frees up oven space. Also, they all but look after themselves – just turn once halfway through cooking. Plus, a slow cooker consumes much less energy than a full size electric oven.
Throughout our time in rural France we were always aware of our limited electricity supply. This meant keeping an eye on how much power we were using at any one time. A slow cooker was a perfect low wattage solution for cooking whilst using other appliances.
Since then, and not just because it’s economical, our slow cooker has become a mainstay when cooking potatoes. But we’re not only talking roast potatoes – slow cooker jacket potatoes are another favourite side dish of ours.
This easy Slow Cooker Roast Potato recipe will give you crisp, golden roasties every time. A semolina coating and a touch of butter and oil gives them an extra golden crunch.
Since potatoes are naturally fat free, this dish lands on the healthy side with only 5 grams of fat per portion. But regardless of that, these tasty Slow Cooker Roasted Potatoes will always disappear – no matter how many you make!
Enjoy maximum flavour and texture from crispy golden spuds that are soft and fluffy on the inside. Minimal effort and no guesswork will make this your go-to recipe.
So whether you’re hosting a dinner party or simply looking for an easy side dish, you can enjoy mouthwateringly delicious potatoes.
What Equipment do I need ?
- Saucepan – to parboil potatoes.
- 6.5 litre slow cooker for 9 medium potatoes.
- Kitchen roll – you need a couple of large sheets or 4 small sheets. These will absorb condensation so it doesn’t drip down into the slow cooker pot and ‘dampen’ your potatoes. As an alternative to kitchen roll, a clean tea towel works if it’s been washed using unscented detergent. A heavily fragranced tea towel will taint your slow cooker and its contents.
What Ingredients do I need ?
- Medium size potatoes – a floury variety like Maris Piper, King Edward, Wilja or Idaho give the best results. I used Maris Piper.
- Butter – I used salted butter. You only need a small amount of butter to add extra flavour.
- Rapeseed oil / Canola – you can use olive oil if you prefer.
- Sea salt – adds flavour to the potatoes during parboiling.
How To Make Slow Cooker Roast Potatoes
- Peel and cut your potatoes in half. Cut them lengthways to maximise a crispy crust.
- Put the potatoes in a saucepan of cold water, add salt and bring to the boil. Let them parboil for 6 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and give the pan a quick shake (lid on) before sprinkling with semolina.
- Shake the potatoes around to coat them semolina.
- Transfer the potatoes to the slow cooker and turn them in the hot oil and butter.
- Place kitchen roll over the top of your slow cooker pot and secure in place with the lid. This helps to prevent water dripping down the inside of the slow cooker pot. If using a tea towel instead of kitchen paper, fold the corners back over the slow cooker lid.
- Cook on high, turning halfway through cooking. Don’t be tempted to turn before the halfway point – you don’t want to disturb the crispy crust until it’s ready.
- Serve with a sprinkle with sea salt and a few fresh parsley leaves.
More Potato Recipes
Pin for later
Slow Cooker Roast Potatoes
- Slow Cooker I used a 6.5 litre slow cooker
- Kitchen roll or a clean tea towel
- 1.5 kg potatoes – I used Maris Piper
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 25 g butter
- 1 tbs rapeseed / Canola oil
- 1 tbs coarse semolina
- Peel and cut your potatoes in half. Cut lengthways to maximise a crispy crust.
- Put the potatoes into cold water in a saucepan, add salt and bring to the boil. Let your potatoes parboil for 6 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander, then tip them back into the empty dry saucepan.
- Replace the lid and give the pan a quick shake before sprinkling the potatoes with semolina.
- With the lid on, shake the potatoes around to coat them well. Make sure you hold the lid down tightly.
- Transfer the potatoes to your slow cooker, turning them in the hot oil and butter.
- Place 2 large sheets of kitchen roll over the top of your slow cooker pot and secure in place with your lid.
- Cook for 3 hours on high, turning halfway through cooking.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and a few fresh parsley leaves to serve.
- Make sure you have a single layer of potatoes so they all cook evenly.
- I used a 6.5 litre slow cooker and it easily accepts 9 medium potatoes.
- As an alternative to kitchen roll, a clean tea towel works if it’s been washed using unscented detergent. A heavily fragranced tea towel will taint your slow cooker and its contents.
- Don’t be tempted to turn your potatoes until halfway through cooking, or a crispy crust won’t form.
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.