Bahlsen Biscuit Brownies : Deliciously decadent gooey brownies filled with little bites of crunchy chocolate biscuit, with the characteristic papery crust and dotted with PickUp! Minis. Give your brownies a tasty biscuit twist!
Every now and again I receive invitations to review new products and recently the lovely people working with Bahlsen Biscuits asked me to sample an addition to their Pick Up! range, the Pick Up! Minis. Since the Bahlsen Leibniz range is an established family treat I was intrigued to try out their new product.
As a German family run business, Bahlsen have been making biscuits for the last 125 years and they now support sustainable cocoa farming by using UTZ certified cocoa where the farmers are trained in sustainable farming methods to improve their crop yield and subsequently their income and quality of life.
Gauging reaction from family, the individually wrapped Pick Up! Minis were an instant hit, as they remained fresh and crisp. Perfect for popping in a lunch box and just the right size for a quick treat without feeling guilty as the Pick Up! Minis come in at just 164 kcals for three biscuits.
Having given out packs of the Classic Milk Chocolate and Choco and Milk, family didn’t really seem to have an outright preference – it appears the deliciously thick slab of filling sandwiched between two mini crisp butter biscuits was equally irresistible in milk chocolate and milk chocolate with milk cream.
Quite how we arrived there I don’t know but at some point over the weekend OH challenged me to create a bake using the Pick Up! Minis – before insisting it couldn’t include courgettes ! Regular readers might recall OH’s aversion to courgettes after a particularly fruitful harvest and his subsequent surprise at liking my Courgette Brownies.
And there it was, talking of brownies … how about Pick Up! Mini Biscuit Brownies as a bake ? Deliciously decadent gooey brownies filled with little bites of crunchy chocolate and dotted with PickUp! Minis. Obviously the calorie count would increase dramatically but if you’re like OH that doesn’t seem to be much of an issue. And you can always keep some of the Pick Up! Minis set aside for later as a lower calorie alternative 🙂
Pick Up! Minis are available now from Tesco and Waitrose for £1.29.
Pick Up! Minis were sent free of charge in exchange for this review. All thoughts and opinions are our own.
- 125 g dark cooking chocolate broken into squares
- 125 g unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- 2 eggs
- 30 g cocoa powder
- 30 g plain flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 10 PickUp! Minis
You will need: 23 cm square baking tin lined with baking parchment and greased.
- Preheat oven to 180℃ / 350℉ / Gas Mark 4.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a microwave in 30 second bursts or in a bowl over a pan of hot water and leave to one side to cool.
- Bash 4 PickUp! Minis into small pieces and cut the remaining 6 in half.
- Whisk eggs and sugar together until doubled in volume and carefully fold in the cooled chocolate mixture.
- Gently fold the cocoa powder, baking powder and flour into your mixture, taking care not to remove all the air.
- Mix in the broken biscuits before spooning the brownie mixture into the prepared tin and levelling out the mixture.
- Evenly arrange the 12 halves of PickUp! Minis on the top of the brownie mixture and pop your tin into the oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out with moist crumbs on it (but no wet batter) and the brownie feels firm.
- Leave to cool in the tin on a wire rack until cold, then lift the brownie slab out of the tin using the parchment.
- Peel the parchment off and use a sharp knife to cut into 12 squares.
- The brownies will keep in an airtight container for up to a week.
Pin Bahlsen Biscuit Brownies for later:
I’m entering Bahlsen Biscuit Brownies into a few food challenges this month:
- Corina’s food challenge Cook Once Eat Twice over at Searching for Spice.
- Choclette’s We should Cocoa challenge over at Tin & Thyme.
- November’s Treat Petite created by Stuart at CakeyBoi & Kat at The Baking Explorer, hosted this month by Stuart over at CakeyBoi.
And linking to:
Four mouth-watering bakes and #CookBlogShare Week 46 - Sneaky Veg
Sunday 7th of May 2017
[…] up are these gorgeous looking Bahlsen Biscuit Brownies from Tales From The Kitchen Shed. Brownies are pretty awesome on their own right? But surely the […]
Saturday 3rd of December 2016
Love the idea of gooey and crunchy both at the same time. If ever I come across these minis, I'm going to have to try this. Thanks for sharing with We Should Cocoa.
I’m running a bit behind this month due to my advent calendar, but the round-up and new linky should be up later today.
Monday 5th of December 2016
Thanks Choclette, the crunchy bits do work well with the gooey brownie. Always a pleasure to link up with We should Cocoa and looking forward to December's linky. x
Saturday 26th of November 2016
Thanks for taking part in Treat Petite. A great use for Bahlsen biscuits - I've never had courgette brownies before but I have had spinach ones - a mixed response!!
Wednesday 30th of November 2016
Thanks Stuart and always a pleasure to link up with #TreatPetite. Spinach brownies sound intriguing, something I haven't tried yet but I feel pretty sure I know what OH's response would be :-)
Thursday 24th of November 2016
I'm as sucker for all things cake and Brownies are one of my all time favourites! I can imagine that the crunchy biscuits make a really nice addition! Thank you for sharing :-) xx
Wednesday 30th of November 2016
Thanks Josefine, the crunchy biscuits went down well with the family. Always a pleasure to share a recipe. :-) x
Thursday 17th of November 2016
Ooh those pick up minis sounds yummy. We love the full size version in my house, although I have absolutely no willpower when I eat them and have far too many so these little ones would be perfect.
Monday 21st of November 2016
Thanks Charlotte, I haven't tried the full size PickUps, I have very little willpower so maybe I should stick to the Minis :-)